State Internship Program
State agencies interested in participating in the State Internship Program may select and appoint eligible applicants. The State Internship Program consists of temporary and part-time or full-time positions for students enrolled in institutions of higher education and working toward an undergraduate degree, which shall include associate's degrees or certifications by the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, or a graduate degree. Students who receive internship appointments shall be granted leave benefits commensurate with regular state employees if they qualify for leave benefits. Interns shall be enrolled in the state health insurance and retirement benefits programs if expected to work one thousand (1,000) or more hours per year. Interns must continue to make progress toward earning a degree until completion of all internship requirements. Internships can be paid or unpaid.
State employees may apply to participate in the State Internship Program. Employees who receive internship appointments may request leave without pay from their regular employment in accordance with the leave of absence without pay rules. Trial employees and employees with less than 12 months continuous service shall resign before entry-on-duty as an intern. State employees leaving positions in state government in order to take an internship shall continue to receive all fringe benefits they would have received in their previous positions.
Why state agencies use internships
- Interns bring a wealth of talent and the latest technology to an agency.
- Interns provide needed person-power at times when agencies are doing more with less.
- Interns fill gaps in the agency talent pool.
- Internships open beneficial avenues of communication with the state's colleges and universities.
- Agencies have the opportunity to evaluate potential employees before offering them regular employment.
Why students participate in internships
- It's a great way to get much-needed work experience.
- It provides the opportunity to make valuable contacts and lifelong friends.
- It's a way to get on the inside track for future career opportunities.
State Internship Program Application
State Internship Opportunities
Attention Agency HR Personnel ONLY
To request a list of the current eligible State Internship participants, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.